The Council has worked with the rural community to develop systems and strategies to improve the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of rural waste services.
COUNTRY TRANSFER STATION ACCESS SYSTEM
Access to the Castra, Preston and South Riana transfer stations requires the presentation of a coupon card which will be punched on each occasion. Eligible rural property owners receive a coupon card and relevant information in June each year.
Non-Central Coast residents and non-rural residents need to purchase coupons from the Council should they wish to use the Country Transfer Station facilities.
The Tasmanian Government landfill levy is a fee on waste that is disposed at landfills after 1 July 2022. The levy is being introduced to encourage a reduction in waste, with collected money being spent on resource recovery and education about waste. For most services like household collection and the Lobster Creek Resource Recovery Centre (RRC), this fee is collected by the Council on behalf of the State Government. To cover the levy from waste disposed of at Country Transfer Stations, the number of provided coupons has been reduced from 38 to 36.
- Sedan, hatch or station wagon (seats up) – 1 Coupon
- Van, ute or single axle trailer – 2 Coupons
- Dual axle trailer – 3 Coupons
- Small truck up to 3.0 tonne GVM – 4 Coupons
- Mattress – 1 Coupon
- Fridge, freezer or air conditioner – 1 Coupon
- Fluorescent tubes from local area (up to 4) – No charge
- Fluorescent tubes from local area (up to 12) – 1 Coupon
- Fluorescent tubes from local area (up to 20) – 2 Coupon
The maximum load size accepted will be 3m3 (approx. equivalent to the load capacity of a small truck).
Castra Transfer Station, Castra Road 3.5km south of Sprent
1.00pm to 4.30pm – Friday
8.30am to 12.00pm – Saturday
Preston Transfer Station, Preston Road 3km north of Preston
8.30am to 12.00pm – Friday
1.00pm to 4.30pm – Saturday
South Riana Transfer Station, South Riana Road 3km south of Loyetea Road junction
12.00pm to 3.30pm – Thursday
9.00am to 12.30pm – Sunday
All sites are Closed on Australia Day, Anzac Day, Good Friday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day and all public holidays.
For more information contact the Council’s Works Depot on tel. 03 6429 8100.
By rethinking what we do with our waste, we can reduce the amount of waste ending up at the Country Transfer Stations and help make the current rural waste services sustainable in the face of rapidly escalating costs and increasing waste volumes.
WASTE SILAGE WRAP COLLECTION – FREE OF CHARGE FOR ALL FARMERS WHO REGISTER
- All Tasmanian farmers, both dairy and beef are eligible to register;
- All farmers who register may be supplied with a bin, but farmers with only a few bales may receive one or two collections per year. Farmers with small amounts of silage wrap are encouraged to work with other farmers and place a bin in a central location, making collection more economical; and
- To enable the continuation of this free service Envorinex asks all farmers to keep bins free of netting, twine and any other contaminants. Envorinex understands it is difficult to keep all dirt, vegetation and mud out of the silage wrap but ask farmers to try and keep this to a minimum. For those farmers that can’t or don’t want to wait for a bin, silage wrap can be placed in fertiliser bags for collection when the bin is delivered.
TIMBER RECYCLING SCHEME
Timber is a valuable and extremely relevant resource in our environment; it is renewable and repairable and should be diverted from landfill whenever possible. For more information click here.