Central Coast Council | Ph 03 6429 8900 | Email: admin@centralcoast.tas.gov.au


From 1 November 2018, permits will be required to keep animals such as poultry, sheep, goats, pigs, donkeys, horses and cattle within residential areas.

Permits are NOT required for the keeping of up to two beehives, for six (6) or less standard hens, ten (10) or less bantam hens, or up to eight (8) mixed size hens, but will be needed by anyone wanting to keep a rooster or any other poultry such as ducks, geese, pigeons or turkeys.

The one-off permit fee of $26 per property will be used to fund the production of educational resource materials for people keen on keeping farm animals within residential areas.

CLICK HERE to view a copy of the By-law.

CLICK HERE to download a Permit Application Form.

CLICK HERE to download a copy of the Healthy Hens, Happy Humans brochure.

Copies of the Permit Application Form and the By-law can also be obtained from the Council’s Administration or Service Centres.

For further information, contact the Council on tel. (03) 6429 8900.

Frequently Asked Questions