As part of our 2021-2022 Annual Plan, the Council has committed to exploring opportunities for residential living behind or above the shops in Reibey Street. This action follows work undertaken by Complete Streets in 2019-2020, which highlighted the following potential benefits of “shop top” living:
- More activity in the CBD, particularly in the evenings.
- Improving the overall appearance of buildings.
- Increasing the supply and variety of housing in our municipality.
- Allowing people to live closer to public services and facilities.
- Increased sense of safety and security and a reduction in antisocial activities.
- Increased profitability of CBD shops.
By the end of the project, the Council and property owners will have a better shared understanding of the costs (e.g. building and planning compliance, refurbishment) and benefits associated with pursuing Shop Top living.