At its Council meeting on 20 August 2018 the Council resolved to place its Draft Animal Control By-law out for public consultation. This is in accordance with s.157 of the Local Government Act 1993.

The Draft By-law is available for inspection at the Administration Centre, Ulverstone and the Service Centre, Penguin and can also be viewed/downloaded by CLICKING HERE. You can view or download a copy of the Regulatory Impact Statement which outlines why the Council has decided to implement this By-law by CLICKING HERE.

Any person who wishes to make a submission in relation to the proposed By-law should do so in writing. Submissions can be emailed to [email protected] or posted to:

The General Manager
Central Coast Council
PO Box 220

The Council will consider all submissions prior to formally adopting the By-law.

Public submissions are to be provided to the Council no later than
4.30pm on Friday 21 September 2018.

Any queries in relation to the content and effect of the By-law should be directed to the Council’s Organisational Services Director, Bill Hutcheson on tel. (03) 6429 8900.


Why is the Council introducing an Animal Control By-law?

In the past there have been several issues involving the keeping of animals within residential areas.  Current legislation can be quite difficult to enforce, and this often leads to poor outcomes for the community.  The By-law is more proactive and will allow matters to be resolved in a much quicker manner.

It is also a mechanism that can be used to encourage good animal husbandry.

What areas will it apply to?

The By-law will apply to all areas which are zoned Residential under the Central Coast Planning Scheme 2013, and any subsequent Schemes that are introduced.

Does this mean I can't keep chickens?

People within residential areas will be able to keep up to six (6) standard hens or 10 bantam hens without requiring a permit.  You would however, need to comply with the housing and control of the hens.

Can I keep a rooster?

A rooster can be kept as long as a permit has been issued.

How much does a permit cost?

It is proposed a permit will cost $25 when the By-law is introduced.

How long does a permit last?

The permit has no end date unless the conditions of the permit are not adhered to.  If the Council was to receive a complaint, then the permit may be reviewed.

What other animals require a permit?

A permit is required to keep any of the following animals within Residential-zoned areas:

  • sheep
  • pigs
  • horses
  • donkeys
  • cows
  • goats
  • all other poultry except for the specified number of hens
  • bee hives.
What about dogs and cats?

The By-law does not apply to the keeping of dogs or cats as there is existing legislation dealing with these animals.

In the By-law it mentions a "penalty unit" - how much is a penalty unit?

The value of a penalty unit is set by the Department of Justice and for the period 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019, a penalty unit is $163.

10 penalty units = $1,630
5 penalty units = $815
3 penalty units = $489

Do I need to apply for a permit now?

No.  There is still a process to be followed before you need to apply for a permit.

When the By-law is adopted by the Council we will be advertising through the newspaper, our e-newsletter, website and Facebook page.